Saturday, January 30, 2010

Culinary Escapades

My lack of motivation for life is usually triggered during January. Short days, biting cold, nothing growing, and the perpetual cold and sickness that travels from one person to another. I definitely knit more. I also stay home and watch more television on my computer. I drink more tea, and so you would think that I would also want to use the kitchen more for soups and stews.

Alas, the cold has penetrated the walls of our house, and crept into every corner except the couch and my flannel-sheet covered bed. Mmm bed. It sounds so lovely right now (but I am proctoring an ACT instead, and have been up since 6:45 on a Saturday. Lovely).

There have been some food adventures of late, that are worth mentioning:

Over the holidays, when I was home, I revisited a diner that I went to when I was 15 in NYC. I hadn't been there since, and it was quite a trip to go back, order similar food, and discover that some things in the food industry are remarkably consistent. At this diner, there was a small family eating brunch together. The parents ordered their food, sat on one side of the table, and then sat their kids on the other side in front of a portable DVD player, so that the kids would be occupied while the parents brunched. This seemed fairly ridiculous to me, and also just incomprehensible. Going out to eat as a family is such a delightful affair - a way to enjoy food with your home, but not be responsible for the prep or cleanup. There's a lot of parenting things I don't understand, though, so who knows.

My amazing mother also decided to host a New Years Day party, and she and my father cooked for 2 days in preparation. Everything was a huge success. Spinach and breadcrumb balls, lobster salad, turkey chili, quiche, cheese and crackers, and some of the most decadent desserts made by our friend Sheila, (a baker extraordinaire). Everyone was fully sated, and we sat around the fire chatting, drinking mimosas, and celebrating the beginning of the new decade.

Another worthwhile food occasion to mention would be one of the most remarkable sandwiches I've ever had. Seriously. At Common Roots (always a favorite destination of mine), Betsy and Andrew and I went for evening happy hour. First of all, late night $3 Surly is an amazing idea. Then, Betsy and I split a tangy Asian vegetable slaw, with just the right balance between vinegar and the sweetness of the veggie. Then, we ate a portobello sandwich, and it had so much juicy flavor, with enough garlic to have a kick, but not overwhelming, and enough salt, but not too much salt, and so much natural juiciness and meaty texture, and then cheese and veggies, and fresh bread. Oh MAN I wish it never ended. Which was followed by a trip to the CC club, which is comical, because they are hardly the model of tasty food... mostly just grease. (in many ways: greasy food, greasy service, greaser customers. You get the idea).

Another night, dear old Anthony came by to make a quick dinner before band practice. We cooked up a tasty tomato sauce: pureed almonds, diced tomatoes, mushroom, red wine, onion, garlic, spices, and some vinegar. So tasty. Paired with a fresh salad: cucumber, spinach, blue cheese, tomato, lettuce, and walnuts, with homemade balsamic vinaigrette. So satisfying, and so simple.

Finally, yesterday I was introduced to Nelson's deli, quite the sandwich establishment of St. Paul, and a favorite for Hamline students for decades. I had my first Nelson's sandwich - the N'awleans. (new orleans.... yeah). Cajun chicken, cheese, tasty sauce, fresh rolls, and lettuce. I was definitely satisfied, but not overwhelmingly impressed. It was a well constructed sandwich, yes, but I am not dying to go there again. Though I probably will.

Seriously, once I get more EBT, I will be cooking again. I have a lot of recipes I am eager to try:

That should suffice for a while. Yum.

1 comment:

  1. Those blog's information is truly one of the helpful articles I've ever read. It is like those from blog.gourmetrecipe.com . Those articles from the site are like this one. They are also very useful that we can use every day.

    ReplyDelete