Monday, October 19, 2009

On kale, students, and recipe planning.

Day 2 of my Blogging adventure... I think I already have one follower (thanks, Steve).

All day I was thinking about fun things that I could include here. I think it will be a really great way to document new cooking attempts, and also as a reminder of things I'd like to make. Otherwise, they will sit with a star in my google reader, just waiting to be made, but forgotten about.

In other news, today I read one of my students papers, from last year, as he described his family's struggles in life, and how it has inspired him. I read it to my new students, to try and inspire them and show them how good these essays can be. It was a really powerful moment, when my students heard his story, and that he is now successfully at Augsburg. I think it sunk in. If only they would stop chatting and actually work.

So, here are some recipes I'm looking foward to this week or next:

In other news, the only times I am missing the glutey gluten have been:
- inhaling delicious aromas of baking pizzas -
- sitting in the May Day cafe where they are making yummy loaves of bread -
- waking up to the smells of my roommate baking daily bran muffins -
- seeing delicious muffins and treats, for free, at work/campus visits/wherever -

Otherwise, I'm feeling pretty great! I made a successful transition to the gf pasta (trader joe's, heck yes). Also, I have stocked my cupboards with snacks so that I never feel like I have nothing to eat. Dinners have been very easy: either don't use gluten products, or find a substitute. I think this month will be the month of gf pasta, potatoes, and polenta or cous cous. And, I must say, that is fine with me.

On the menu tonight:
Kale, Squash, and White Bean Stew
- this is a recipe from the Farmer John cookbook (he made a documentary a few years ago. There are many fabulous recipes in the corresponding cookbook).
Basically, you get chicken stock, lots of greens, onions, squash, and white beans and garlic, and stew them all together. It is a pretty fabulous recipe, that my friend Ben improved by adding sausage. Sausage makes everything better, let's be real.

Bon appetit! Photos coming, hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment